Thursday, February 17, 2011

Man arrested; allegedly threatened to kill father

February 17, 2011 - By TOM GIAMBRONI
LISBON - A 20-year-old Lisbon-area man believed involved in the 2008 shooting death of his mother has been arrested for threatening to kill his father.
Jesse N. Ieropoli, 10984 state Route 45, was arrested at his home at 8:45 a.m. Tuesday by Columbiana County sheriff's deputies called to the residence by his father, Nick, who said his son had just threatened to kill him and then take his own life after he was done.
Deputies arrived to find Jesse locked in his bedroom, but he came out after a while to speak with them and was taken into custody. His father said he truly feared for his life and went on to obtain a protection order against his son.
Jesse was charged originally with domestic violence, a low-level misdemeanor offense, but the county prosecutor's office advised the sheriff's office to also file a charge of aggravated menacing, a first-degree misdemeanor. He is being held in the county jail on a combined $6,000 bond pending a hearing today in county Municipal Court.
Jesse is the son of Sherry I. Ieropoli, 47, who was shot to death at her home on Aug. 24, 2008, a death later ruled a homicide by the county coroner's office. Investigators said two shots were fired, and that a .22-caliber rifle kept at the house and found at the scene is believed to have been used.
County Prosecutor Robert Herron said at the time the only people at home were Mrs. Ieropoli, her husband and their son, Jesse, who was 17 at the time. Nick Ieropoli is believed to have been in another part of the house when the shooting occurred.
Herron identified Jesse as being involved in the shooting but declined to provide any more details, other than to say witness statements conflicted with the evidence.
A homicide ruling means the coroner determined one human being killed another, but it is up to the prosecutor's office to determine the charge to be sought when it presents the case to the county grand jury for possible indictment.
No indictments have been issued in the case to date, however, and Herron said last March he recently had asked investigators to go back and take another look at some of the evidence and to re-interview witnesses.
When asked Wednesday if the incident that resulted in charges against Ieropoli stemmed from the shooting, Herron declined comment.
"I can't comment on evidence in the case at this point," he said.

No comments: